Sunday, October 5, 2014

Motivation in Instruction

IDEALA Week 3 Activity - Part 2


Motivating students is a huge challenge for me.  These days it feels like we have to entertain students in order to motivate them.  I often hear “boring” in reference to education and it frustrates me that a whole world of students thinks that everything has to be fun or exciting or adventurous.  I also believe that articles, including the Small article make motivation seem easier to achieve than it truly is.  Finally, I am intrinsically motivated – I love to learn new things – so I lack understanding for students that appear to lack motivation.  Clearly, I need to work on my attitude and teaching techniques regarding motivating students.
 
My Library 1A course is linked with English 1A (freshman composition).  If students pass both of these classes, they get automatic enrollment in English 1C (critical thinking).  Often these students want to transfer to a four-year university.  I believe students taking Library 1A could experience intrinsic motivation, if they want to learn about academic research in order to be capable and confident students.  Sadly, though, I believe many of these students experience extrinsic motivation.  They simply want to earn a good enough grade in Library 1A in order to claim their spot in English 1C.

While I believe the ability to motivate is simplified in the Small article, the section on the ARCS model was helpful to me, particularly in reading the examples aligned with the components and subcomponents.  Below is a list of some ways that I aim to motivate students in my credit course.  It was easier to see how I work toward Attention and Relevance.  Because Small, Dodge, and Jiang (1996) noted high value in these two components, I feel better about my current approach to motivating students.

Attention

Perceptual Arousal:  I use current or quirky or useful examples in database search lessons.  I struggle to know what appeals to 20-year-old students, but they often seem to like things that my 9- and 12-year-old boys like.

Variability:  I mix in a variety of learning activities, including independent, small group, and large group activities.

Relevance

Goal Orientation:  I have shared rubrics and samples with students to demonstrate what is expected to meet the assignment.  I point out where certain resources are required and/or respected by their English professors.

Familiarity:  I compare and contrast database searches to searches that students might attempt on Amazon or iTunes.

Confidence

Success Opportunities:  I ask students to present their new knowledge via posters, PowerPoint, Prezi, etc. in addition to submitting a bibliography.

Satisfaction

Extrinsic Rewards:  In an orientation and tour, I provided “super student” awards to a small group that performed the best on the closing quiz.  

Note:  I did this "super student" award in an orientation session for new nursing students. They were thrilled by the very small certificate.  Despite seeing their enjoyment of the award, I have yet to try this with my credit course students.

No comments:

Post a Comment