Saturday, September 20, 2014

Designing Courses that Promote ...

IDEALA - Week 1 Activity

In addition to reading the pages of Fink, I also reviewed the articles by BoothDavis, and Turnbow.  In addition to her USER method, I appreciate Booth's four-part instructional literacy framework: reflective practice, educational theory, teaching technologies, and instructional design.  Turnbow's article is helping me learn more about goals and outcomes, as well as assessment and activities that could integrate with these learning outcomes.  Below is my response to the questions posed on the Fink worksheets.

Step 1.  Situational Factors

Specific Context of the Teaching/Learning Situation

For this IDEALA course, I will focus on my teaching of Library 1A: Introduction to Library Research (LIBR 1A).  LIBR 1A is a one-unit course taught at a large community college.  Up to 30 students enroll in a section.  The current section is taught in an accelerated eight-week lesson, so students attend class two hours per week.  So far I teach in a face-to-face format in our library classroom.  This classroom is equipped with desktop computers that have Internet access and word processing software.  At the instructor podium, the professor and the students can project presentations and demonstrations.

General Context of the Learning Situation

I have taught LIBR 1A as a standalone course and in learning communities with English and Speech courses.  Most recently, I have taught in links with English 1A (ENGL 1A) in a learning community called Pathways to Transfer.  In Pathways, we hope that students enroll in and succeed in English 67-68-1A-1C and, even better, transfer to a four-year university.  English 67 and 68 are pre-collegiate; English 1A is freshman composition; and English 1C is critical thinking.  LIBR 1A links with ENGL 1A because it has a research paper component.

Nature of the Subject

Although I would like students to learn and remember some concepts about academic libraries and information competence, the ultimate goal of LIBR 1A is that students would practice what they are learning in class and to continue to apply research skills and utilize critical thinking in future coursework.  There are some elements of convergent thinking, like what a database includes, but open-minded (divergent) thinking is very helpful to the research process.

Characteristics of the Learners

All students in my current LIBR 1A section are enrolled in ENGL 1A. Thus, the assumption is that all of these students are capable of performing reading and writing at a college level.  They are fairly similar in terms of their abilities as students; however, they do have diverse personal backgrounds.  Some students are busy with school, family, and work responsibilities.  Other students are focused primarily on school.

Characteristics of the Teacher

I aim to build lessons that include active learning and critical thinking.  I am open to new pedagogy and curriculum.  I enjoy working with a semester-long credit class, because it is rewarding to get to know students on a deeper level than is possible in a workshop.  I struggle to engage students and I also wish to see more genuine participation from students in terms of classroom activities and homework assignments.

Step 2.  Significant Learning Goals

A year (or more) after this course is over, I want and hope that students will confidently and capably find and use a variety of sources of information in order to understand their research interests and provide answers and solutions to their research questions and problems.

Foundational Knowledge

I want students to know that they can access a variety of information sources by using catalogs, databases, and search engines.  I want students to know that all information sources are not created equal, so they must think critically about the context surrounding their chosen information sources.

Application Goals

Students should be able to use databases to find sources of information. With a broad goal of using databases, I envision that students would develop a list of useful keywords and subject headings, enter search statements, and set limits as needed.  Students should also understand how to open, save, and email documents.

Student should also be able to evaluate sources of information.  More specifically, students should be able to read and view the sources of information.  Then students would examine these sources of information based on criteria such as authority, accuracy, and purpose.

Integration Goals

I want students to realize that "basic" search skills can be applied across many databases.  I also want them to realize that critical thinking, especially evaluating the source of information, is important in all aspects of their lives. There may be multiple answers or solutions to the same problem, so it is okay to challenge a source.

Human Dimension Goals

I want students to enjoy learning about their research interests.  I want them to be able to decide where they stand on certain issues.  Ideally, students would base their stance on evidence that they reviewed and appraised.

Students can realize they are not alone in an academic environment. Professors, librarians, tutors, and peers are available and willing to help them succeed.

Caring Goals

I want students to value information and to realize that they can contribute their ideas to this world of information.  I want them to value libraries and think that libraries contribute positively to our world.

"Learning-How-to-Learn" Goals

What students learn in LIBR 1A will help them be "good" students in other courses at my institution and at their future institutions.  From this course, they should be able to use academic libraries in a range of ways, from finding and borrowing a book to planning and implementing multiple stages of the research process.  When it is a more extensive project, students should understand how long it might take to accomplish this project and they should have willingness to take these steps.

6 comments:

  1. For the last three goals, you said everything I want to say and said it so much better, I wish I could just write "See Emily's post."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hong Guo - You are always so good to me. Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I also agree with Hong Guo, you said similar things to what I said in my goals, but better. :)

    Do you teach more than one section each semester? If so it would be an interesting experiment to try different active learning activities with each section and compare how it affects student engagement. I've recently become really interested in learning how I might incorporate more active learning into the online information literacy modules I have created for our students, but translating these types of activities from a face to face environment to online feels like a challenge.

    It's obvious that you genuinely care about your students and have a passion for what you do, so I think that, combined with learning new instructional design skills through this course (and beyond) will hopefully lead to better and better experiences and results in your course each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Loved your Human Dimension Caring Goals too! - Robyn Swords

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and excellent suggestions from Aissa! I'm glad the other course readings are coming in helpful. Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I want students to value information and to realize that they can contribute their ideas to this world of information. I want them to value libraries and think that libraries contribute positively to our world." I love this. I want this to be carved into the building blocks of every library in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete